I have talked about Mod Podge shortly in a previous article, but let’s dive deeper into this versatile crafting product, that I use a lot, in my newest article.
What is Mod Podge again?
Mod Podge is a liquid hobby glue/varnish from the brand ‘Plaid’ with multiple applications.
It has special characteristics, basically 3 things in 1 product:
3. Finishing off
All varieties of the product have these three properties. You can apply it with a brush, a foam brush, or just your fingers (don’t do that if you have delicate, dry skin like me). When you apply it, it is white, but it dries up transparent.
Different types of Mod Podge
In addition to these two variations, there are a lot of products for different purposes. A third classic variation is the Mod Podge Satin. It has a satin gloss that looks somewhat between the gloss and matt version. An advantage of Satin is that scratches aren’t as easily noticed.
Especially for projects with fabrics, there is Mod Podge Fabric. Fabric is suited to glue fabric to fabric, amongst other things. However, a lot more is possible with this one. You can use it to prepare the fabric for upholstery, attach fabric to wood, for accessories, shoes, and more. You can wash these in the dishwasher.
If you are going to make a project that requires glitter, you can use Mod Podge Sparkle. This glue already contains glitter. Multiple layers are going to provide even more sparkle. You will get the best result on a dark background, but a special effect is also created on a white background. For even more glitter, there is Mod Podge Extreme Glitter.
There is also Mod Podge Puzzle Saver. This is especially suitable for gluing your most beautiful puzzle so that you can keep it and hang it up a wall. In addition to the types mentioned, there are many more variations. And new ones are still being added, I will discuss the newer varieties next.
Plaid still comes with new types of Mod Podge that are especially suitable for other applications, such as paper, for outside, to transfer photos, dishwasher safe, and much more. I have listed them for you here:
– Mod Podge Antique mat gives your projects a vintage feel. Provides a matte finish that gives projects an “aged” look. Suitable for projects that need a vintage look.
– Mod Podge dishwasher-safe is suitable for washing your projects in the dishwasher. Your projects are now easy to clean and keep in the dishwasher with its dishwasher-safe formula.
– Mod Podge glow-in-the-dark provides a glow-in-the-dark effect. Make your birthday, Halloween, and many more projects glow with glow-in-the-dark. For extra glow effect, just add more layers.
– Mod Podge Hard coat provides an extra durable protective layer so that your project remains beautiful for a much longer time and is resistant to scratches and damage. Suitable for projects that have a lot to endure. Extra hard finish suitable for commonly used practical decoupage projects, furniture, bookshelves, and kitchen accessories.
– Mod Podge outdoor is suitable for projects that are placed outside. Rain or sun; with a layer of outdoor they can handle it all and remain pretty. For example, use it on tin, wood, terra cotta, concrete, and more.
– Mod Podge photo transfer medium is specially designed for transferring photos and texts on wood, textile, cork, cardboard, and much more. This medium only works with prints from a laser printer. Cut out your print and apply a thick layer of photo transfer medium (on the image side). Place your print face down on the surface. Press lightly and let it dry for 24 hours. After 24 hours, wet the paper with a brush or cloth. Rubbing removes the paper and leaves the image.
– Mod Podge Stiffy is a textile starch that shapes and keeps your projects in shape. Suitable for most types of textiles and yarns. Quickly and easily make fabric bows, craft bowls, or add lace, ribbon, and trims to craft projects.
– Starter set 5 x 59 ml. In this handy starter set, you will find 5 bottles of Mod podge with which you can carry out various projects. The basic types of matte and gloss are suitable for most projects and materials. In addition, the outdoor, sparkle, and paper mat are especially suitable for outdoor, extra glitter, and paper.
Mod Podge projects.
Below I will show you the best projects that you can make with this crafting material. This is just a selection, the possibilities are endless!
But first, have a look at his video with a little tutorial!
1. Make your own mouse pad with mod podge.
2. Make your own coasters.
3. Make a DIY Fall Leaf Candle Holder.
4. Make a cheerful tea light holder
5. Make a DIY Confetti vase.
6. Have a makeover on your furniture.
7. DIY Glitter glasses for the best party ever!
8. Of course look at my own projects where I use Mod Podge, my Fairy Garden for example.
As you can see, a lot is possible with a crafting material called Mod Podge. If you do your own research on the internet, you will come across many more ideas and applications.
Would you like something specific covered in an article (a tutorial maybe?) or would you just like to comment on this article, then leave it down below in a comment!