- 1 What kind of 3D printers are better for miniatures?
- 2 3D printer 1: The Ender 3 V2.
- 3 3D printer 2: ELEGOO Mars 2 Pro Mono MSLA 3D Printer
- 4 3D printer 3: The Phrozen Mini 4K
- 5 My final conclusion.
Today, we are going to focus on the best 3D printers for sale, that you can use for 3D printing (obviously), but are also used a lot to 3D print miniatures.
If you would like to learn more about 3D printing in general or more specific in the miniature world, then I can refer you to 3 other articles that I have written before about this topic:
What kind of 3D printers are better for miniatures?
Searching on Facebook groups and other places, I would advise using resin to 3D print miniatures. The reason why people seem to prefer resin over FDM is that the finish of the little things is less ‘rough’, which seems pretty important to me to create beautiful minis.
So, for this article and reviews, I have been focussing mostly on 3D printers, that use Resin.
Before you buy any 3D printer, you should always understand that it is not a technology that you can just “plugin and play”. And I hope that the 3 articles that I have written before, will help you on your way.
So, it will take some time to learn a complex software program, at the least, to support and slice your files to 3D print them. The files on Thingiverse, for example, are not ready-to-print without learning how to do this.
You would also need to think about other things, like ventilation, etc. On top of manuals, my blog posts, and other websites, I would also suggest watching a few Youtube videos, if you haven’t already.
Sadly, there is not a lot of content on 3D printing dollhouses and miniatures out there, and the ones that are, are mostly more specific to tabletop gamers, like “Warhammer“, but the basics are practically the same, so I wouldn’t worry about that.
Now, without further ado, let’s have a look at these 3D printers and review them:
3D printer 1: The Ender 3 V2.
What is The Ender 3 V2?
It is one of the simpler 3D printers out there.
- The motherboard is self-developed and silent. This machine offers a stronger build in anti-interference freedom and it is faster plus has a more stable motion performance.
- This 3D printer is equipped with a Meanwell power supply and meets all requirements for fast heating and long impressions. It is implemented inside the machine, making it safer.
- Ender 3 V2 adds a button to the extruder, making loading and nutritional supplementation much easier. The brand new UI system and intelligent 4,3-inch color screen enhance the user experience.
- Can regain pressure of the last recorded extruder position, after an unexpected power change. This saves time and waste.
- Has a carborundum glass platform: this means that the floor is rapidly heated and that it prints better without warping. Provides extra smoothness, even in the first coat.
I found the cheapest one on Banggood for $259,00.
Or on AliExpress from $259,92. Both are cheaper than on Amazon! ( date 05/04/21)
Free replacement of extruder kits within 3 months, and provide a 1-year warranty for all major parts
Have a look at this video on Youtube how it works:
The good and the bad.
- It is an easy to assemble and to set up 3D printer for beginners
- It is quite cheap
- you should take your time to set it up because it seems that a mistake is very easy to make. Make sure to check every screw, angle, everything. Watch every Youtube video that you can find!
- it is suggested to buy upgrades because ==>
- 1. the stock spring won’t keep the bed stay still forcing you to adjust it frequently. A great spring will allow you to print for months without worrying about it.
- 2. extruder kit: the stock kit is plastic made and it often breaks or cracks: Do yourself a favor and buy a metal one
- 3. filament tube: the stock one has a poor push-in pneumatic fitting
It is better to spend a lot of time on the newbie mistakes and common issues, which will be a big help!
The Ender 3 V2 3D printer looks like it can be a pretty good beginner’s printer, certainly for miniatures!
3D printer 2: ELEGOO Mars 2 Pro Mono MSLA 3D Printer
What is the ELEGOO Mars 2 Pro?
This 3D printer is considered a little bit better than the first one, to print miniatures and dollhouses.
- The ELEGOO Mars 2 has a 6,08-inch monochrome LCD display included with a 2K resolution. It takes only 2 seconds per layer to cure the resin, which makes it more efficient.
- The new light source structure provides a more uniform UV light emission and works in tandem with the 2K mono LCD.
- It is an impressive machine because of the CNC machined aluminum housing and it has a newly designed sandblasted build plate.
- Build-in activated carbon absorbs any resin vapor.
(you can look it up on Amazon, but it is always more expensive there as far as I can tell)
A 1-year warranty on the whole printer and a 6-month warranty for the 2K LCD.
Have a look at this review of the Elegoo Mars 2 pro:
The good and the bad.
- A mono LCD has a much longer lifespan and stable long-term printing performance, which can save you a lot of money
- The print details and precision has greatly improved
- sturdy build quality
- setting it up is a breeze and the leveling of the print bed is simple and well detailed in the instructions
- it has a cover
- The LCD surface is not glass
- Replacement LCD’s are not available
- there seem to be no instructions available on how to remove resin from the LCD
Do not remove resin from the LCD without proper instructions first, because then you have a problem.
The ELEGOO Mars 2 pro seems like a very easy beginners 3D printer to use, you would just need to take care of the LCD surface.
3D printer 3: The Phrozen Mini 4K
What is the Phrozen Mini 4K 3D printer?
This 3 printer is more on the expensive side, but it has advantages for sure and is one of the best 3D printers for sale.
- Most consumer-friendly 4K 3D printer on the market.
- All you need to do is: install the building platform, fasten the resin vat and install the Software ( Chitubox Slicing). Then you can add the printing parameters, slice your file into the software, and save it. Upload it to the printer in just a few clicks.
- It has a printing speed of 80mm per hour, which means that the Sonic Mini 4K is able to print one layer in only 2 seconds!
- It works with ParaLED ( which is a parallel UV LED matrix backlight system) and over 95% optical uniformity.
- 4.6” X 2.7” X 5.1” is the maximum print volume
$599,00 on AliExpress.
Offers a three months warranty for all LCD screens.
Have a look at the review of this printer on Youtube:
The good and the bad.
- I like the fact that it has a cover
- Excellent accuracy and print quality!
- the parallel UV LED is much better than the conventional COB LEDs.
- this printer is extremely lightweight and very easy to store
- all the motion parts are aluminium or steel
- excellent stability
- A few people had issues with reading the included USB stick, that is why I didn’t give this printer 5 stars
Be carefull of where you buy this,because I have read a few reviews on Amazon saying that the machien was used before!
Most reviews of this 3D printer are very good, but sometimes there seem to be issues with the USB stick included, so when that happens, make sure to send it back asap and ask for a replacement or a refund!
My final conclusion.
I hope that you found the right 3D printer to print out your beautiful little dollhouses or miniatures, it is a separate kind of art and it takes a while to make it perfect.
But some people really have fantastic results with this method and I will surely talk some more about these artists soon!
Would you like to add something to this topic, then please leave a comment below, or you can now join me on my Facebook group!
I wish you happy crafting,