Rolife Sam’s Study is a very interesting miniature dollhouse kit, full of books (deu lol)
It is also known as the “DIY miniature model kit Harper’s Library”, as I found out.
But first: Sam’s study instructions PDF
Before we go further: I know have uploaded the manual of this Robotime DIY house English instructions, in a PDF file, as this is a frequently asked question! Download it here.
Robotime Sam’s Study kit: an overview of the Product.
As an Amazon and Etsy associate, I earn from purchases, with no extra costs for you, however.
Product Name: Miniature dollhouse kit called ‘Sam’s Study’
Owners: Robotime aka Rolife
Warranty: 30-day refund or replacement
Product Overview :
Robotime DIY Miniature Dollhouse Kits: DG102-Sam’s Study with LED Light, Tools, and Instructions in English.
Included are many miniatures, photos, and frames, bookshelves and books (lots and lots of those !), chairs, a ladder, etc. Including all necessary tools (see content).
The English instructions show you how the construct the miniature kit step by step. Expected time to assemble: 20 hours. For anyone who likes crafting, dollhouses, miniatures, AND books. (have you seen the other amazing trend as well: book nooks?)
– wood, paper, metal, cloth: 500 pieces
– English manual
– 2 kinds of glue. Tip: I have been told that, if you run out of glue, or the glue is missing, that you can buy the exact same one on Amazon.
– a brush
– the pieces are already painted (you can repaint them)
– 2 batteries, led lights
– measurements : 18,5 x 22,5 x 19 cm
– weight: 954 gr
– scale: 1/24
– Average time to build: 20 hours (depends on the individual)
You still need a crafting knife and for that, I would definitely recommend a ‘fingertip crafting knife‘ from Fiskars, I’m so happy to have bought it, it’s much handier than your usual crafting knife!
And another tip! :
To glue the wires together in a quick way, without having to use superglue, I found out the hard way that it’s better to use ‘fast grab tacky glue‘ so that you don’t have the issue of gluing your fingers together!
DIY miniature house Sam’s Study- A personal review with pros and cons.
The Good And The Bad :
– It is very challenging but rewarding! (no real struggles though )
– if you love reading books, this can be so pretty next to your real books
– pretty design
– good quality
– besides small scissors and a ruler, you really don’t need any other materials than the ones provided by the kit
UPDATE: there are people worldwide missing glue and batteries
– non-toxic (keep away from kids under three years old though, as those very small parts can be easily swallowed !)
– NO MISSING PIECES (YEAY!), not like in the other kit I made a review from Cathy’s Flowerhouse.
– It could be too challenging for some people (there are lots and lots of books there !)
– the instruction manual could be less confusing and more detailed (that’s a common thing about Robotime, so it seems)
– I had a very hard time fitting all the books together on the shelves, so that was a bit irritating, but in the end, I did it 🙂
– putting together the red chair was a challenge, but managed it also. Some people leave it out, cause they can’t seem to make it. Do you think you could? Tell me please when you have done it or not 😉
– I have read reviews where people said that the base and the building do not fit together well, cause the base isn’t measured correctly. Mine fits well, but maybe yours could be an issue?
In general, I just loved this kit, 5 stars would be perfect, but that is a score that I have never given any miniature kit, so I’m giving this one an ‘almost perfect’ 4 and a half stars.
Where to get support from Robotime/Rolife?
As mentioned in my other review of a Robotime miniature kit, there are lots of videos on Youtube that you could watch for instructions or join Facebook groups!
You can always contact me on my social media pages, whenever you like and I will try to figure it out for you (if I remember how I made something haha). Here’s my Facebook Page.
Or if you prefer: my Facebook group. Join me there and chat with me as much as you like!
- Lots of people ask me where to contact Robotime by email, well I found it on Facebook, here it is: Jack.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Missing or broken parts? Now Robotime replaces them for free!
You just need to pay for the shipping costs and it doesn’t matter where you bought the miniature kit.
Follow THIS LINK to get replacements.
Rolife Sam’s Study assembly: doing it my way.
Now, with this one, I had a lot of fun, because it was the first one that I wanted to ‘hack’ it and have it quite different than the original version.
You can tell the difference between my version and the original version in this Youtube video of mine:
Do you see the differences? Let me explain what I have changed:
- I have changed the colors of the furniture from orange and light brown, to bright blue and dark brown.
- The paper floor (green-white blocks), wasn’t my thing at all, so I definitely wanted to change that. I used a piece of balsa wood and dyed it ‘woodish-brown’.
- the black plate and 3 green apples on the piece of furniture in front are made by me.
- added a few personal things, like the ‘I-love-Africa’ pin and the little elephant (have you discovered it?)
- the chair was quite ugly in red and it was covered in glue, so I upcycled it with an old blue piece of stretch T-shirt fabric
I’m pretty happy with the changes and results.
Would you like to see the complete tutorial? I have uploaded a 45 minutes video of that as well:
My Final Opinion of Rolife’s Sams Study
This would be a perfect gift for that friend who is a book nerd or of course, yourself, to have hours and hours of crafting fun.
I haven’t encountered any severe issues with this dollhouse kit at all. Apart from maybe that there’s little variation in this one, it’s all about books, books and you know what else? : books. 🙂
Did you know that there are even covers of little books that represent real-life books? Books that I personally read even, that amazing!
Did you encounter any problems though with this or do you have any other questions about this review or other miniature dollhouse kits?
Feel free to ask in a comment below.
I would also appreciate a share on your social media or joining me on my Facebook group, thank you very much!
I wish you happy crafting!
My name is Lizzy, and I am an amateur miniaturist obsessed with everything in the dollhouse and miniature world, ever since I was a teenager.
I love to write as well about all things happening in the miniature world, hence the reason why I created this blog!
I wish you happy reading and crafting!